Privacy legislation is to be taken very seriously and affects the way we do business. All private information that BGC Yorkton obtains from any person, including our members, partners, candidates, and employees must be accompanied by disclosure for the reason of collection, consent for its use, and a guarantee that the information will be safeguarded and only used for the purposes of original collection.
BGC Yorkton will ensure that the Canadian Federal Legislation act: The Personal Information Protection and Electronics Documents Act (PIPEDA) is followed.
1. Accountability: An individual(s) must be designated as accountable for the organization’s compliance with privacy legislation.
2. Identifying purposes: The purpose for collecting private information needs to be clear.
3. Consent: Knowledge and consent of individuals are required for information collection.
4. Limiting Collection: Collection of information is limited to that which is necessary to carry out the purposes identified.
5. Limited Use, Disclosure, Retention: Personal information will only be used for the purpose originally communicated, it will not be disclosed to others, it will only be retained for the period of time necessary for fulfillment of those purposes.
6. Accuracy: Keep information current.
7. Safeguards: Keep the information safe. More sensitive material requires stronger safeguards.
8. Openness: We need to communicate policies and practices relating to managing personal information.
9. Individual Access: An individual has the right to ask to be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of his/her personal information. This means that any individual has the right to see their files and ask what we have used the information for.
10. Challenging Compliance: An individual has the right to address concerning compliance with the above principles.